The purpose of the BIG program is to foster the growth of the bioscience industry in the state. Applicants applying should focus on one or more of the following areas:
- Supporting biotechnology innovation and commercialization in areas including:
- Crop genetics;
- Biosensors and biotechnology in relation to food, nutrition, animals, humans, equipment, medical and health products and services;
- Medical diagnostics;
- Medical therapeutics; and
- Farm-based pharmaceuticals;
- Promoting the creation of bioscience jobs in the state to be filled by graduates from institutions under the control of the state board of higher education;
- Encouraging the development of new bioscience technologies and bioscience startup companies in the state;
- Leveraging the agriculture industry in the state to support the development of bioscience technologies impacting livestock operations and crop production;
- Promoting bioscience research and development at institutions under the control of the state board of higher education;
- Encouraging coordination and collaboration among other entities and programs in the state to promote bioscience innovation goals.
All applicants must meet the following requirements to be considered eligible to apply:
- Employ at least two employees
- Have documented sales of less than $2,500,000; and
- Be a corporation, partnership, limited liability company, limited partnership, or limited liability partnership registered in North Dakota
Funding cannot be used for:
- Capital improvements
- Academic programming or curriculum
- Workforce training
All budget revisions must be requested via email.
(application available under Related Resources on this page)
A complete application must contain all information requested and have original signature of the applicant.
The completed application must be submitted on or before the deadline of 4 pm CDT, Friday, June 16, 2023, to:
North Dakota Department of Agriculture
Bioscience Innovation Grant
600 E Boulevard Ave Dept 602
Bismarck ND 58505-0020
Applications may be submitted electronically but must be signed.
Bioscience Innovation Grant Program (BIG) Contacts